GDS Amps 18W building seminar - Thanksgiving weekend

The place to discuss 18W-related ampfests, get-togethers, gigs, etc. These should be of interest specifically to 18watt.com members.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, rock_mumbles

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

GDS Amps 18W building seminar - Thanksgiving weekend

Post by Graydon »

I've had some enquiries lately regarding holding another amp building seminar. Is there any interst for this fall? If there is enough, I'll hold a seminar. Personally, I'd like to do it on the Sat of Thanksgiving weekend but I don't know if that works for the participants. Let me know if you're interested at all and if you have alternative suggestions for a date, go ahead and mention them.

Some info regarding the seminar itself...

During this seminar, you will build a GDS 18W kit from start to finish. I will be there to assist and answer questions and teach you how to do it properly. You will leave with a working GDS 18W amp by the end of the day. You have the option of building a full size 18W with tremolo or TMB. The cost of the course would be the same for each option. A delicious hot lunch and refreshments/snacks will be provided.

Transportation to and from our shop would be your responsibility. It is highly recommended to arrive on Friday afternoon because we will have a small get-together/greet-n-meet on Friday night at my house. We'll play some amps and go over some safety issues and basic theory during that party.

All tools and soldering equipment would be provided with the option of buying the tools to keep. Of course you would be welcome to bring your own tools too if you wish.

I can accommodate up to 10 people max if there is enough interest. I need at least 5 to make it worthwhile. There is a nice airport here in Flint if anyone wants to fly in. We can pick you up at the airport.

The cost will be $1050 for an 18W Combo

This includes:
Seminar and instruction on site at GDS Amps shop for one day
Lunch (this is going to be good!)
18W kit
Full assembly manual
Does not include cabinet or speakers
Special deals will be available for cabinets but they must be ordered at least 6 weeks before the seminar.

Pics from one of our previous seminars can be seen here...

http://www.gdsamps.com/seminar.html

Let me know if you are interested.
Last edited by Graydon on Wed 12/03/08 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Bry
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

more info

Post by Bry »

This sounds like a great deal,when compared to the price of an already assembled 18 watt amp.
Few questions:
1)Where is this happening?
2)Just how much theory are you going to cover? field and wave form?
superimposing voltages on each other? ect
3)Is the entire assembly to take place in 8-10 hours?
4)are you going to video an instructional how-to for the 18watt.com community from this seminar?

Looks like your last one was great fun!
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Bry,

1) Fenton, Michigan
2) Just enough theory to describe the basics of how the amp works. Basic ohms law, AC and DC circuits, grounds, constant voltage vs constant current, safety with electricity, etc.
3) It will be a long day and some things will be done by me ahead of time to facilitate building the rest of the amp in one day.
4) A video is not planned right now although I would like to do that in the future.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

It looks like this seminar is a go. I have a few guys signing up already. We have space for a few more so let me know asap if you would like to join us.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

Will you be giving a tour of Flint when the seminar was finished? :roll: :roll:
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

what_wires wrote:Will you be giving a tour of Flint when the seminar was finished? :roll: :roll:
Now that is a strange request! I suppose I could do that , but we'll have to bring some firepower. :-)

Flint is a good 20 miles from my home so I don't have to deal with the dangerous parts.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

Yeah.. I was thinking we could stop by the gun and knife show on the way into town.... :lol: :lol:
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

what_wires wrote:Yeah.. I was thinking we could stop by the gun and knife show on the way into town.... :lol: :lol:
Are you still thinking about stopping by that day?
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Vintageheadbox
Unrated

Post by Vintageheadbox »

Graydon wrote:
what_wires wrote:Will you be giving a tour of Flint when the seminar was finished? :roll: :roll:
Now that is a strange request! I suppose I could do that , but we'll have to bring some firepower. :-)

Flint is a good 20 miles from my home so I don't have to deal with the dangerous parts.
Come on now Flints not that bad I know its not Fenton but sheessh....lol

Note: Flack jacket and .50cal required on all tours
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

Vintageheadbox wrote:Come on now Flints not that bad I know its not Fenton but sheessh....lol

Note: Flack jacket and .50cal required on all tours
Hey, welcome to 18watt!

Yeah, in all the years I have lived here, I have never had a serious problem. I've had a few thefts of property when I lived in Flint, but I've never been personally in danger that I know of. My wife was born and raised in the 'hood and she has never had any real threat to her personal well-being.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

Vintageheadbox
Unrated

Post by Vintageheadbox »

Thanks for the welcome Graydon. Yeah I grew up here my self but not really in flint , Im in Flint twp.. It makes a difference.. Hey Thanks for sending Guy My way :wink:
0 x