Lite 2b(ish) from scratch !

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

GodoFre
Unrated

Lite 2b(ish) from scratch !

Post by GodoFre »

Hi all:

I'm planning to build from scratch an 18W Lite 2b(ish), by solid state rectification (but adding a resistor of about 150/200 ohms, to achieve some SAG).

Here are my questions:

1.- Do I keep the power transformer requirements, or can the high voltage secondary voltage, 290 VAC, drop a bit? With diodes, I will save the voltage drop in the rectifier valve, but I have to add the voltage drop that will occur in the ‘SAG’ resistor.

2.- Has anyone tried to feed the filaments of the 2 EL84 and the 2 ECC83 in series? I mean: instead of using a 6.3 VAC secondary, use a 12.6 VAC secondary. Yes, I intend to reuse several disparate power transformers, which worked in other lives, for other purposes.

3.- The latest layout available (JMPGuitars) is based on a turret board. As I am starting from scratch, what physical dimensions should this plate have, how can I currently get the pre-drilled plate shown in the layout, any current and inexpensive suppliers of turrets and the tool to insert them into the plate?

Thanks in advance for any help,
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Lite 2b(ish) from scratch !

Post by JMPGuitars »

1. With a SS rectifier you can have a slightly lower secondary, but I wouldn't go too low. You can experiment and see how it sounds.

2. As long as the filament transformer supplies sufficient current for the tubes, it should be fine in theory as long as you wire them correctly. Learn more here: https://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

3. If you print the doc full size (or at least the turret board area) I drew those to scale. Make sure the PDF is set to print actual size, and not shrink or fit to page. Normally I could make a turret board for you, but I'm not cheap, and shipping outside the US will probably cost just as much as the board itself. Maybe Bieworm or somebody in the EU could build one for you.
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 04/25/24 3:07 pm
Maybe Bieworm or somebody in the EU could build one for you.
I sure could do that. Where is the member located?
2 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

GodoFre
Unrated

Post by GodoFre »

Spain is my country. Thanks un avance !.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

GodoFre wrote:
Sat 04/27/24 3:52 am
Spain is my country. Thanks un avance !.
That is great. Shipping costs would be very reasonable
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"