Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

6CG7

Post by PeddlerPete »

/ 6FQ7
Found in RCA victor being used in conjunction with [4] EL84's, I'm unsure what they are, data sheet says max plate voltage is 300.
These are output section driver tubes or output tubes or preamp tubes I don't really know.
Any schematics showing application of this type of tube ?
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

Hi Pete, look at the Silvertone, Magnatone amp's, both used the 6FQ7's.
BooBird
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Looked at the Duncan Tube DB and it shows it as a dual triode with 5.7W pa max from both sections. So it really packs a punch! It doesn't have a humbucking fillament like the 12ax7 series and runs off of 6.3V, like a power tube. So it's probably an early 9 pin triode that was used for a driver tube in the amp. The spec sheet says it was originally intended for use as a TV horizontal/vertical reflection oscillator.

See the spec sheet at this link - http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/fran ... 6/6FQ7.pdf
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

Very similar to a 12AU7.
0 x

veets
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by veets »

And they have a taller bottle with more heater requirements. I've played with them a bit and yes they behave a lot like 12AU7's or even 6SN7's. Another cool one to play around with is a 6BZ7. Same pinout as a 12AX7 EXCEPT the heater goes only to 4 and 5. Easy resolder job. Mu=36.
0 x
Bassists are people too.......well sort of.....

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

Excellent news !
These need to be put to use.
I just figured out this old RCA amp is 4xEL84 with two of the 6fq7's driving them.
Big 'ol iron w/RCA logo, originally being console amp...,sounded real nice when it worked, wondering how it compares with 'upscale' 18wPTs, the OT's were a little weak for guitars wit hot dirtbboxes.
Rectangular/tall, whatever that equates to other than required cabinet size.
Original spacious amp only layout [2x preamp tubes in another small chassis], so it's cramped space in terms of laying a preamp with 7 tube sockets and PT already in it.
:idea: 18w needs fewer sockets !
0 x