Genlex tube info needed - or a sense of direction

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

Ripstich

Genlex tube info needed - or a sense of direction

Post by Ripstich »

This tube has me stumped and I can’t find any data out there on the net. It’s the standard E-9 small button base it’s a preamp Genlex from Brittan. It has Golden Lion Script written across it, the Number is I believe to be a B579 with a date code of D221 which is cover by a red Genlex decal. Grey plate and looks like a Mullard. Any body have any idea what it is and how much they might be worth?

I am sure it’s worth more than what I paid for the two amps, and the spares that it came with. But I just can’t figure out what settings to test them on. Or do you put things like this in a bullet proof box these days?
0 x

emg

Post by emg »

GEC relabeled Mullard ECC83's. I don't think they actually produced their own. The Gold Lion B579 was a select Mullard that had a data sheet included.
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Mullard select is about right, these things are just dripping with tone. I bought these recording amps at an estate sale, that are home brewed with the ballanced inputs etc. Each amp has ten of these things, two per channel and 4x6l6gc RCA Black plates. Then the old man religiously changed tubes, wither they need it or not. It came with two boxes one pulls, and one NOS. In all it was one of these Hollywood scores for $35.00. Heck any one of the transformers or chokes alone is worth far more than what I paid. I went there for the Mics, and could afford a single one.

Now I have been running 12DA7's in my pre's they run about $50.00 I just couldn't believe that any thing could get any cleaner, these do the trick. I already have a few high end audio guys banging on my door for these things, after I put out the cry for help.

Thank you for the Info.
0 x

emg

Post by emg »

Great score man. I love to hear about good deals like that. My best score recently was a couple of long plate shield logo's for .50 cents each. It kinda helps balance out for when I paid to much.
0 x

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Scored even more today, an old Ampex 601 all RCA black plates 12ax7 & 12au7, and an old Seeburg juke box that works! $78.00 total. These things don't come to you; you have to be out there like a bird dog man.

One of the best to keep your antennas up for are the old Akai Reel2Reel recorders the M6, M7, M8 these can be had for around 35-50 a few simple mods and you have a ef86, 12da7 preamp section with one el84 tube, just change the rec to a EZ81 and add an el84 and rewire and your in business. These are two amp machines to boot and scream for the 18 watt conversion. They are a little low on the PT , but PT distortion is a nice complement to the el84 sound.

Just watch out if this bug bits you.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

You should be able to find the four digit Mullard code etched near the base of the Genelec B579.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Ripstich

Post by Ripstich »

Zap, Genlex covered it with there red decal! The best that I could interpret this was as a D221. But at lest it had some numbers to research, don't you love those guys that use Mr. Clean to brighten up there tubes? LOL some of these unidentified burning objects can be loads of fun.
0 x

BooBird
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by BooBird »

I knew somewhere i had found a site that had some good info and data sheet's on the Mo Valve co.
http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm
i found this to be a good read,
Boo
0 x