Baldwin 12AX7A

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

whiteboyblues2001
Unrated

Baldwin 12AX7A

Post by whiteboyblues2001 »

I found a local shop that has some 12AX7A's that are marked "Baldwin" The label was a little rubbed off, but I belive that it the last part of the word "Organs" is under the "Baldwin" name. It is very clearly maked "Made in U.S.A." on it and a number "P28050-170" Cantt tell if the last digit is a "0" or a "C". It is also marked "12AX7A" on it.

After a little research, I found out that Baldiwn, the piano maker, also made tube organs back in the day. And many US tube manufacturers, like RCA and GE, would make tubes with the organ manufacturer's name printed on it. They do have long black plates.

Is there any way to determine the actual manufacturer of the tube?

I bought one and tried it out in my 18watt. I ususally use JJ's for pre and power amp. Since I had only one of the Baldiwn's I A/B'd them in the various pre amp tube sockets. I really like the tube. It is a little brighter than the JJ's, but similar in power and distortion. I like it in the PI position. It ditorts well. I then tried it in the PI position with a Sovtek 12AX7WXT+ in the V1 socket. The WXT+ has significantly more gain than a normal 12AX7, so I was able to push the baldwin further into distortion. Sounded great. I think that is my favorite setup so far.

I also have a Hi-Octane, but have not tried it in that amp yet. I will add a new post once I give it a shot.

My main question is, how do I figure out who made it. By the way, it was $17. Nice find. I think that I am going to go back and buy some more. They also have some NOS RCA's. They were twenty some dollars. I did not check to see if they are the black plate ones, but from the price, I suspect they are grey plates.

Joe
0 x

drgork

Post by drgork »

Great find! I really like the sound of some of the NOS American tubes. Old RCA's sound incredible in the 18's I think. They don't have the mystique of Mullards, but they work well, are cheaper and can still be found out there. If you like the blues and/or slide, a good RCA in V1 or V3 is pretty hard to beat. Makes an 18 sound as good if not better than some of the old Fenders out there. Obviously, I'm a Marshall guy!

We all may need to hit the old Piano and Organ shops and see if we can't find some more of these!

Danny
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

You may have to just look and compare to other tubes to see if it matches any manufacture. I have seen some of these that look more like 12AT7s with small plates. and the taper on the one end..Look at some 12AT7 to see what i mean.. but they labeled them 12AX7.. i don't know who made the tubes for Baldwin..maybe RCA GE or it could even be forgien type tube factory.. Hard to say..maybe throw up a pic and we could see what they look like. I have tons of different 12AX7s to compare them too. You mostly look at the plates.. the size, shape, if they have ribs on the plates..vent looking holes..shape of them and how many they may have..and some have none..lol So alot different ones.. Alot of companies like Sears, Bogen, Silvertone, Baldwin on and on..had there name painted on the tubes.

Richie
0 x

whiteboyblues2001
Unrated

I don't have a digital camera yet (getting one eventually), so I will try to describe it. The plates are definately long and black. It looks like there is a raised three rung ladder on the sides of the plates. If you see one like it, you will probably know what I mean.

The plates are constucted of two pieces of thin metal sandwiched together. The vertical edges about 1/8 inch wide touch each other and there is a rectangular hole in one that two tabs from the other are bent over to hold the two halves together. The middle part of the pieces of metal is raised up on each side about 1/16 of an inch on each plate. So when the two pieces are sandwiched together, they make a hollow rectangular box that has the other parts inside. It is on the outside of the hollow box, that there is a raised three rung ladder shape. I belive the shape was made to make the plate more rigid, and it seems to have been stamped into the metal.

That is as best a description that I can make without a picture. If I run into someone with a digital camera, I will post a picture.

Anyway, I can't wait to go back and get some more. I will have to wait until next week though.

Thanks for the help!
Joe :mrgreen:
0 x

whiteboyblues2001
Unrated

Oh, I forgot to mention to Plexi (Richie), you mentioned that they could possibly foriegn made, but they have "Made in U.S.A." printed right on the side.

When I saw "Made in U.S.A.", and long black plates for $17, I'm thinking "He shoots, he scores!"

Joe
0 x